searching for ice cream in Copenhagen

Yes, it's cold in Copenhagen, but who says no to Danish ice cream, right? So, Danila and I went to Strøget, a pedestrian shopping area (the road is exclusively for foot traffic) after the first day of UNLEASH which saw me munching on a dish filled with grub that could cause Timon and Pumbaa to sing hakuna matata all day. I needed to get the taste of insect larvae off and I thought an ice cream could fix that.

The walk along Strøget felt like being in Diagon Alley because of the narrow side streets and the tall buildings at either side of the main street. It definitely wasn't as brightly lit as Osaka's Dōtonbori district.


That doesn't mean to say that it wasn't an interesting walk. There were many shops and restaurants whose designs were pretty eye-catching... like this statue, welcoming diners in his own special way.


But Danila and I had our eyes set to ice cream. So we found this place called Isbar and got ourselves ice cream cones. The ice cream I ordered was so delicious! 


It was almost 9pm and the city was still lit by the last rays of the sun. Hence, I was looking at the Amagertorv ("Amager Square") in a different light as other tourists probably would (those who come in the middle of the day, at least). However, many of the brands featured on Strøget could also be found in San Francisco's Union Square, Makati's Glorietta, and Tokyo's Ginza district. So I didn't feel like shopping; which is good because I didn't want to pull a heavy piece of luggage to the train station on my way home.



As Danila and I sat on a bench and ate our ice cream cones, I can't help but remember that the buildings surrounding me at Amagertorv look like the waterside buildings I've seen in Lausanne-Ouchy. I then started to wonder: when will I start seeing distinct Danish architectural styles... the type featured in Solvang?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses