Skip to main content

My thoughts about the Graco SnugRide®️ SnugLock®️ 35 (at last!)

A few months ago, I first wrote about how my brother and I unboxed the Graco Modes Bassinet LX, my son's travel system that is composed of an infant car seat and a stroller. Back then, I didn't write my thoughts down about the infant car seat because my son's not there yet. But now that he's used the car seat several times (mostly to the doctor's office), I think that I can write about it.



Duration of use depends on the baby's growth.

Based on the user's manual, the infant car seat is useable by the baby until he reaches the car seat's height and weight limits. Thus, I was fully expecting that my son wouldn't graduate from this stage for a long time. However, my son outgrew the infant insert when he turned three months. I just realised this when he started crying whenever I placed him in the car seat after adjusting his harness straps to get the right fit. So I removed the body insert. I would have loved to keep his head support too, but he still cried when it's attached to the car seat. So I had no choice but to remove the entire infant insert. Once the infant insert was removed, my son seemed more comfortable. He even enjoyed sitting in it, I think. For the next four months, he knew that we'd be riding the car when he saw the car seat at the bottom of the stairs (and he'd squeal in delight and excitement). Seven months in, on our trip to Vacaville, I noticed that the top of his head was already one inch under the top edge of the car seat and his feet were already hanging off the edge of the car seat. By that time, I knew that the days of the infant car seat were running short... just when my son started feeling snug in the car seat.


Carrying it with my baby definitely counts as an upper-body workout.

The SnugRide®️ SnugLock®️ 35 is, by itself, not heavy. But with a growing baby seated in it, I soon realised that I couldn't carry my son in the car seat safely, particularly up and down the stairs. So either Daddy carried my son in the car seat or I parked the car seat downstairs and then brought my son with me. The occupied car seat was so heavy that it was becoming increasingly difficult to lift and attach it to its base in the car's backseat. 

But attach I must. Hence, my upper limbs are becoming more defined.

I found videos about how to carry the car seat without blowing my back. When I tried the "experts'" recommendations (using the empty car seat), I found that these recommendations made me contort my body in awkward positions while carrying the car seat. Needless to say, I ended up not following these recommendations.

It helps make travelling a breeze.

I could just imagine how difficult it is to transfer a sleeping baby without waking him/her up. Which brings me to the next thing I like about the SnugRide®️ SnugLock®️ 35: I can attach it to the stroller frame once we get to our destination (if we're driving). It's such a convenience! Yes, there's a bit of a learning curve because it's quite difficult to line the stroller frame and the car seat up). But once I got the hang of it, it became easy (conceptually; difficult to lift so I needed help). 

Moreover, the stroller frame has a container for the diaper bag, extra clothes and toys, and an ice chest (for reconstituted milk or other food that needs to be kept cool).

I will definitely miss this convenience once my son sits on the convertible car seat which I don't attach to the stroller anymore.

Have spills? No problem.

The SnugRide®️ SnugLock®️ 35 is relatively easy to clean. I just wipe it after my son's spills (he is what the pediatrician calls a "happy spitter") and it's all clean again. Fortunately, I never experienced cleaning diaper blowouts but I think that's because we never travelled far enough for him to wait too long in between diaper changes (I change his diapers every two to three hours).

That's it! I have nothing but good things to say about the Graco SnugRide®️ SnugLock®️ 35. I wish that it's capable of growing with my child so I don't need to change his seat anymore. Alas, that's not possible. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

I went on a day trip to the City of Pines, which was around a 700-km drive from my house. I drove  going up there and then from the city to Victoria, Tarlac. After that, my dad took over the driving duties. It was day trip with Tita Ising and Tito Sibing with us. Anyway, this trip was my first time to go to Baguio City with me behind the wheel. As everyone who drives up knows, there are three main routes to Baguio from the lowlands: Kennon Road, which ascends from Rosario, La Union. It was out of my options because it's too dangerous to use that road in the rainy season. The second route is via Naguilian Road, which makes my trip a lot longer because the beginning of the ascent is in Bauang, La Union (further north). The last route, and the one I took, was the Marcos Highway, now known as the Aspiras-Palispis Highway. This 47-km road starts from Agoo, La Union and is touted as the safest route among the three.  As I drove up and then down (on the same day; we were in Bagu

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

The laboratory I work in has plenty of instruments that help us characterise and identify microorganisms causing diseases in patients. One of my current projects is to validate an instrument called "matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometer" (MALDI-TOF-MS) in identifying members of the Mycobacterium  species. Many of these organisms are opportunistic, meaning they only cause illnesses in people whose immune systems are not strong enough to fight infections. Mycobacterium leprae  is known for causing leprosy, but we cannot grow this bacterium in culture media, so we cannot isolate it. Mycobacterium tuberculosis  complex, on the other hand, is a group of several species of Mycobacterium  that causes tuberculosis. Tuberculosis is a disease that killed 1.6 million people in 2021 alone. It is a leading cause of death globally, second only to COVID-19 since the pandemic began. Identifying the Mycobacterium species that has infected a patient is

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses

On Dr Jose Rizal's birthday this year, I was back in historic Manila with Ate Bing, Ate Mary , and Manuel . But instead of visiting him, we opted to soak up on Philippine culture. Our first stop: the Cultural Center of the Philippines ' (CCP) Museo ng Kalinangang Pilipino .  Aside from the musical instruments, I noticed the dioramas about Filipino homes. Filipinos living by the sea (the 'sea gypsies', Sama Dilaut or Badjao ) have boathouses; those who live in the mountains, like the Bagobos , have developed interconnected houses in the trees; Filipinos who live along the path of the strongest typhoon winds, such as the Ivatans , have developed houses of thick limestone walls; and people who live in calmer conditions used bamboo and nipa to construct their houses, like the lowlanders and the Agtas . Sama Dilaut 'lepa' and houses on stilts (in the background) Ivatan limestone house nipa hut Ifugao 'fale' Maranao '