Quotable quotes at the PSM Convention (May 14, 2009)

Normally, I doze off when I get lost in translation. This time, though, there was enough humour going around the ballroom to keep me awake. Here are some lines that made my day... 

Dr Espie Cabrera on her experience as a Microbiology instructor

"After you've written on the board, you have to erase it." 
 - on why lecturing using board and chalk is slower than using slide presentations

"I allow students to answer in any language... that I can understand."
 - on how students are supposed to answer exams, handle recitations, etc.

"They may speak in English and I don't mind if they start with 'actually' or even with 'in fairness,' as long as they speak only in English..."
 - still on how to communicate in class (emphasis on using only one language, and not a mixture of two)

"Thank you microorganisms for our profession."
 - in acknowledging everyone who contributes to the growth of the profession

Dr Wang June Kim on lengthening the shelf life of kimchi

"If people eat kimchi instead of drinking yoghurt, I will be a billionnaire."
 - on making kimchi a more popular healthy food than it already is

"Say kimchi!"
 - on what Koreans say during a picture shoot

"Korean government does not allow the use of purified bacteriocin. Why? Ask them!"
 - on why the Korean government prohibits the addition of bacteriocins to kimchi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses