solving global problems, one enzyme at a time

As we, UNLEASH participants, started mulling over what we were supposed to do in the next few days of innovation, the organisers gave us a glimpse of how Denmark is addressing the SDGs.

One of our stops in the Food theme was Novozymes. It's a company that develops enzymes for industrial applications. Being there took me back to the day when I was mulling over whether I'd take Industrial Microbiology (once course, four units, I think) or Human Development and Immunology (two courses, combined weight is five units, I think). My dream of becoming a medical doctor took precedence so I took Human Development and Immunology. 

Look at where I am now.



Anyway, I found the Novozymes approach to be a good example of how technology and income generation could help the world become a better place (yes, I sound so idealistic... indulge me). It partners with many different companies to put their enzymes in these products to help achieve the UN SDGs. For example, a detergent company uses Novozymes products as ingredients to removing stains from clothes. This helps lessen pollutants in wash water and helps reduce energy costs of heating water (for washing machines with hot water options). Also, Novozymes has enzymes that can make milk sweeter without adding sugar to it (by breaking down lactose in milk to galactose and glucose), contributing to improved health. Bread can also stay soft longer by adding a Novozymes product into the dough, helping address food security and sustainable consumption. 

During our tour of Novozymes, we were introduced to the company's approach. First, it discovers enzymes sourced from microorganisms like fungi and bacteria. The scientist periodically goes on a sampling expedition (even just in her backyard) and grows these microorganisms. She tests these microorganisms for their capacities to do several industrially important activities and then chooses which of these microorganisms would be studied further for enzyme profiling.


Once the enzymes that enable these microorganisms to behave the way they do are identified and produced in a big enough scale, the protein scientists then start analysing the structure of these enzymes to figure out how to adapt them to the applications needed by Novozymes' clients. For instance, if the enzyme for the detergent becomes inactive due to the detergent's other components, the protein scientists find ways of changing the enzyme structure so it won't become inactive when mixed into the detergent.


These enzymes then enter into the clients' production pipeline, leading to brand names and products that we, consumers, recognise.



At this point, I was reminiscing the days when I was toiling my way towards a BSc degree in the microbiology lab of BIOTECH, trying to get my batch of Streptomyces fradiae to produce enough tylosin for my chicken feeding experiments. I was drawing from a lot of my experiences as I listened in on the Novozymes story. 

When the company visit ended, we were reminded of why we were in Denmark. It was, after all, not for fun and games. We were there to find ways to make sustainability a way of life by way of finding solutions leading towards the SDGs.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses