the UNESCO Heritage Sites I have seen (so far)

One of the things I want to do is to visit as many UNESCO World Heritage Sites as I can. So, as 2018  unfolds, I'd like to list the some of the places that I can cross off my to-go list. I must admit that I haven't been to many. So as I post this, I hope that I can visit more of these sites in the future... and write about them again.

La Porte de Non Retour



Slave trade has contributed immensely to the African diaspora, particularly to the Americas. I don't know much about how it began so it was with deep interest that I visited this heritage site (it's on UNESCO's tentative list). The route surprisingly began inland, with the slave auction occurring under a tree. Apparently, the slave trade was a lucrative business because there were several stops along the route that indicate how big an industry it must have been back then. It was interesting to learn that slaves had to go through several rites designed to make them accept that there's no turning back for them physically and to assure them that their spirits, in contrast, could go home. It was heartbreaking to learn that these people were treated like animals. But it's comforting, somehow, to know that their "migration" to other countries have led to the cultural enrichment we see in the countries they have moved into.

Taj Mahal


I've always wanted to visit this place since I saw it in the Junior Encyclopedia that Mommy brought home from BookSale when I could barely read (but I liked looking at photos). Three decades later, that dream came true... I was walking in the white marble mausoleum to look at the intricate workmanship. It wasn't just the marble building too. The inlaid stones depicting flowers and excerpts from the Koran are so beautifully made. The tombs of Shah Jahan and Mumtaz Mahal were in a level inaccessible to tourists so we just had to be content with seeing replicas. Even though we couldn't see the real tombs, this visit to the Taj Mahal allowed me to appreciate the architectural genius present in the 17th century Mughal Empire.

Grand Canyon


I didn't visit the national park. Instead I was at the Grand Canyon West Skywalk, a tourist spot managed by the Hualapai tribe. The views under the glass platform were breath-taking and a misstep on the edge of the actual canyon can mean plunging into the depths below. It made for really good photos. It's the first time for me to visit the desert too; so I experienced the temperature drop really fast when the sun set. I hope that this place be kept as pristine as it is now so that the next generation can stand here in awe, the same way I enjoyed sitting by the cliff here.

Central sector of the imperial complex of Thang Long
I was in Hanoi a long time ago, with GQNC colleagues. On one of our long walks, we ended up walking past the imperial complex of Thang Long without realising it. I remember the North Gate because it was a well-lit location... little did I know that it was formally included into the UNESCO World Heritage Sites a few months before I saw it.


I was a student at the University of Sydney when I first saw this building at the Sydney Harbour. It was such a beautiful white building on the quay but I was also curious about what's inside the opera house. I was able to watch two performances there and was wowed by the interiors. The Cultural Centre of the Philippines was the only other major theatre venue I've ever been in before that time and I felt sad for the CCP. The acoustics in the Sydney Opera House were so much better than the CCP. Now that I'm a bit older, I no longer feel sad for the CCP; I appreciate the resurgence of arts and culture that may, one day, lead to improvements to the CCP facilities.

Baroque churches of the Philippines



Earthquake baroque is the architectural style of churches built in various parts of the Philippines. I've visited those found in Ilocandia and the San Agustin Church in Manila. The old-world charm of these churches never fail to fascinate me. Each time I see one of these churches, Dr. Paul Zafaralla's words about Paoay Church ring in my ears: "Look at those Chinese-stylised curlicues." Evidently, the craftsmen who built these churches incorporated a lot of Asian design into these evidently Western buildings. We may not have the temples of Thailand, Cambodia, or Myanmar... but we have our Earthquake Baroque churches.

I had a chance to visit this wonder of the world in 2000, when Lola Bats was turning 85. She went hiking with us back then! The highlight for me wasn't the hike along the terraces (even though I found that the Hungduan terraces were the most scenic); instead, it was the opportunity to chat with a mumbaki, or a tribal doctor. 

This is one of first cities I visited with a map on hand (as an eight-year-old). Many years later, I visited this city in high school and in college with one of the best professors in art appreciation (or critique), Dr Paul Zafaralla. Most recently, I was there on yet another road trip and had a good time exploring the city without the pressures of a trip report. It is one of a few places where I had to walk on cobblestone roads... very charming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses