Skip to main content

My surprise labour and delivery

Who would've thought that a routine appointment with my OBGYN would end up with me delivering my firstborn?

Funnily enough, I just sent an email to people I work with the day before, stating that I wouldn't be checking emails often from that day forward because I'd be prepping for childbirth (aka I'd be preparing the baby's space and supplies two weeks before I was scheduled to give birth).

Anyway, I just finished my prenatal exam when I noticed that I was bleeding. I checked with my OBGYN if the bleeding was normal; she told me to rest for a few minutes for observation. She then conducted more tests on me and determined that it was safer for me to deliver the baby at this point in my pregnancy than to wait for my baby to go full-term.

So instead of going to Happy Lemon for my weekly boba tea fix, I drove straight home and explained to Mommy that I was being sent to the hospital's Labour and Delivery unit for induced labour. She was scared, to put it lightly. After packing a bag for me and the wee one, I drove to the hospital. The nurses at the station assigned me to one birthing suite. Mommy was still on the clock while working from home while Anna and Daddy were still doing their shifts in the Veterans' Centre so I was all alone during the beginning of the labour process. But Mommy arrived on the first evening to be with me to the finish line (of pregnancy). Anna and Daddy couldn't be with us because of the hospital regulations for preventing the spread of COVID-19.

Going-to-labour tip: Don't pack too many clothes for yourself for the trip home. In my case, I ended up wearing Lululemon leggings that I had worn when I entered the hospital upon discharge, and one the shirts I use in barre class. The whole time I was in hospital, I was wearing a hospital gown.

Since I wasn't full term yet, the doctor had to induce labour by first softening (or ripening) my cervix for 12 hours; followed by a steady drip of oxytocin to start the contractions during labour and after delivery. Then the OBGYN ruptured the amniotic sac. At some point, I asked for an epidural already because I didn't want to experience the pain of the contractions... and I didn't want to ask for it when it's too late (read: when the baby's head had started descending my pelvic bone).

Not counting the ripening stage, I was in labour for around 18 hours, if my foggy memory of what transpired can be trusted. This was followed by one hour of pushing the baby out. I asked Mommy to leave each time a procedure had to be done on me (e.g., checking cervical effacement and dilation,  rupturing the membrane, insertion of the catheter for the epidural and the catheter for urine) because I was worried that she might pass out. However, during my delivery, she was beside me and acting like a labour coach.

And here's another thing: when the wee one came out, he was bigger than I expected (I thought babies are born tiny). However, he's quite small compared to other babies; considering that he's not full-term yet, it's okay, I thought. His pediatrician recommended that I feed my baby ad libitum, perhaps to allow him to catch up on weight now that he's outside.

After my OBGYN finished cleaning me up (read: suturing the tears brought about by the delivery), I was allowed to rest for a few hours with the baby in the room with us. Then it was time for the trip to the Mommy-and-Baby unit where we'd continue our recovery and have our first check-ups. Transferring from the bed to the wheelchair made me faint. Good thing that Mommy had some biscuits for me to eat (I wasn't allowed food intake once the oxytocin was given to me) during the five-minute journey to our new room.

I had a lot of bad dreams about how painful delivery could be. Thanks but no thanks to all the television shows that portrayed the delivery process. It turned out that with pain management, my labour and delivery, though a surprise, was not as bad as I had imagined.

Now the real challenge of parenting begins... at home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

I went on a day trip to the City of Pines, which was around a 700-km drive from my house. I drove  going up there and then from the city to Victoria, Tarlac. After that, my dad took over the driving duties. It was day trip with Tita Ising and Tito Sibing with us. Anyway, this trip was my first time to go to Baguio City with me behind the wheel. As everyone who drives up knows, there are three main routes to Baguio from the lowlands: Kennon Road, which ascends from Rosario, La Union. It was out of my options because it's too dangerous to use that road in the rainy season. The second route is via Naguilian Road, which makes my trip a lot longer because the beginning of the ascent is in Bauang, La Union (further north). The last route, and the one I took, was the Marcos Highway, now known as the Aspiras-Palispis Highway. This 47-km road starts from Agoo, La Union and is touted as the safest route among the three.  As I drove up and then down (on the same day; we were in Bagu

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

The laboratory I work in has plenty of instruments that help us characterise and identify microorganisms causing diseases in patients. One of my current projects is to validate an instrument called "matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometer" (MALDI-TOF-MS) in identifying members of the Mycobacterium  species. Many of these organisms are opportunistic, meaning they only cause illnesses in people whose immune systems are not strong enough to fight infections. Mycobacterium leprae  is known for causing leprosy, but we cannot grow this bacterium in culture media, so we cannot isolate it. Mycobacterium tuberculosis  complex, on the other hand, is a group of several species of Mycobacterium  that causes tuberculosis. Tuberculosis is a disease that killed 1.6 million people in 2021 alone. It is a leading cause of death globally, second only to COVID-19 since the pandemic began. Identifying the Mycobacterium species that has infected a patient is

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses

On Dr Jose Rizal's birthday this year, I was back in historic Manila with Ate Bing, Ate Mary , and Manuel . But instead of visiting him, we opted to soak up on Philippine culture. Our first stop: the Cultural Center of the Philippines ' (CCP) Museo ng Kalinangang Pilipino .  Aside from the musical instruments, I noticed the dioramas about Filipino homes. Filipinos living by the sea (the 'sea gypsies', Sama Dilaut or Badjao ) have boathouses; those who live in the mountains, like the Bagobos , have developed interconnected houses in the trees; Filipinos who live along the path of the strongest typhoon winds, such as the Ivatans , have developed houses of thick limestone walls; and people who live in calmer conditions used bamboo and nipa to construct their houses, like the lowlanders and the Agtas . Sama Dilaut 'lepa' and houses on stilts (in the background) Ivatan limestone house nipa hut Ifugao 'fale' Maranao '