Skip to main content

The Wonder Weeks (2019)

My son is growing up fast! I never cease to be amazed at how much he has developed since he was born. As he pushes his boundaries in cognitive development, I notice that he also goes through periods of incessant fussing, irritability, and clinginess. My first bout with these difficult periods was in his sixth week, when he was just inconsolable. I even called the advice nurse multiple times just to get assurances that my son was all right. She told me that his gut was maturing around that time, which is a major adjustment; major crying bouts were expected.

Okay, but still it's difficult to witness. 

Not wanting to go through these maturation stages blind, I followed Biboy, Barbara, and Matty's lead: I bought a copy of Frans X. Plooij and Hetty van Rijt's book entitled "The Wonder Weeks". The authors claim that babies go through ten predictable "leaps" of development; these are predictable because they happen like clockwork for all babies, at around the same time from their due dates. The accuracy of the leaps' schedule based on due dates can be questionable because due dates are estimates. Nevertheless, in my child's case, I expect these leaps to arrive a few weeks later than what's on schedule because he was born a bit early. 




What I find interesting is that the authors provided a list of new skills that parents could expect from their babies after they have made each leap. These lists of new skills aren't really unique; other child development researchers discuss them too. However, Plooij and van Rijt present gaining these new skills as entering new worlds. For example, the "World of Changing Sensations" coincide with the maturation of the baby's gut and an increase in his/her wakefulness because he/she has depleted the mom's melatonin supply and has to start generating his/her own. If I didn't take up Human Development as an elective course for my undergraduate degree, I would have been wowed by the presentation because they do seem like the baby is entering a new world each time he/she makes a cognitive leap. But because I did, I'm less impressed by the presentation and was more interested in what's actually going on during the leap.

Thus, I found myself speed-reading through much of each chapter and slowing down only when I have reached the list of possible new skills or changes observed. As of this writing, I have not finished reading the book (my baby is supposedly going through Leap 4; we still have six more leaps to go and I only read the chapter corresponding to the leap he's in and the next one). But I am fascinated that I can actually tick off boxes in the leap he's currently in but not in the subsequent ones (i.e., for older babies).  The skills obtained in the current leap are pre-requisites for the next leap

I now understand why the leap periods are called Wonder Weeks. As my child comes out of each one (and I no longer worry why he's inconsolable after feeding him, changing his diaper, and though I hold him a lot), I can see that he is no longer the baby from the previous stage... he's literally growing in front of my eyes. I gaze at him with wonderment at how different he is as compared to when I brought him home from the hospital. He may be wondering about the world too, as each leap allows him to see it with a different—more sophisticated—view.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

I went on a day trip to the City of Pines, which was around a 700-km drive from my house. I drove  going up there and then from the city to Victoria, Tarlac. After that, my dad took over the driving duties. It was day trip with Tita Ising and Tito Sibing with us. Anyway, this trip was my first time to go to Baguio City with me behind the wheel. As everyone who drives up knows, there are three main routes to Baguio from the lowlands: Kennon Road, which ascends from Rosario, La Union. It was out of my options because it's too dangerous to use that road in the rainy season. The second route is via Naguilian Road, which makes my trip a lot longer because the beginning of the ascent is in Bauang, La Union (further north). The last route, and the one I took, was the Marcos Highway, now known as the Aspiras-Palispis Highway. This 47-km road starts from Agoo, La Union and is touted as the safest route among the three.  As I drove up and then down (on the same day; we were in Bagu

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

The laboratory I work in has plenty of instruments that help us characterise and identify microorganisms causing diseases in patients. One of my current projects is to validate an instrument called "matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometer" (MALDI-TOF-MS) in identifying members of the Mycobacterium  species. Many of these organisms are opportunistic, meaning they only cause illnesses in people whose immune systems are not strong enough to fight infections. Mycobacterium leprae  is known for causing leprosy, but we cannot grow this bacterium in culture media, so we cannot isolate it. Mycobacterium tuberculosis  complex, on the other hand, is a group of several species of Mycobacterium  that causes tuberculosis. Tuberculosis is a disease that killed 1.6 million people in 2021 alone. It is a leading cause of death globally, second only to COVID-19 since the pandemic began. Identifying the Mycobacterium species that has infected a patient is

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses

On Dr Jose Rizal's birthday this year, I was back in historic Manila with Ate Bing, Ate Mary , and Manuel . But instead of visiting him, we opted to soak up on Philippine culture. Our first stop: the Cultural Center of the Philippines ' (CCP) Museo ng Kalinangang Pilipino .  Aside from the musical instruments, I noticed the dioramas about Filipino homes. Filipinos living by the sea (the 'sea gypsies', Sama Dilaut or Badjao ) have boathouses; those who live in the mountains, like the Bagobos , have developed interconnected houses in the trees; Filipinos who live along the path of the strongest typhoon winds, such as the Ivatans , have developed houses of thick limestone walls; and people who live in calmer conditions used bamboo and nipa to construct their houses, like the lowlanders and the Agtas . Sama Dilaut 'lepa' and houses on stilts (in the background) Ivatan limestone house nipa hut Ifugao 'fale' Maranao '