Skip to main content

A glimpse into the baby sleep industry: Bassinets and cribs

Sleep. Ever elusive but a necessity for good brain and body development for babies and a requirement to keep parents level-headed and able to take care of babies. During my baby's first weeks, he slept like a champ but for 30 minutes at a time... lulling him to sleep took a much longer time! I thought that I had to find a way to encourage him to sleep longer... and this search led me down the rabbit hole of the baby sleep industry. And my impression is that it's HUGE!

Bassinets and cribs
As the wee one entered his third month, he was also approaching several weight and height limits. Aside from his swaddles, he was also outgrowing his bassinet (gasp!). His Graco pack 'n' play includes a bassinet, a napper, and a changing pad. I opted not to use the napper beyond a few weeks because it's not flat (flat surfaces are safest for babies when they sleep) and the bottom tends to sag with the baby's weight... also, I wanted my baby to sleep as much as possible in the bassinet.

Anyway, this brought me to the issue of choices for baby sleep zones. I already crossed cribs with wooden slats off my list because of the wooden slats. Also, I wanted something compact because the wee one is sharing the bedroom with me and my sister (there's no space for a nursery in my parents' place at the moment). Those bassinets that can be placed beside the parents' bed was also a no-go for me because of space limitations. So the best approach, I thought, was to get a pack 'n' play. And I really am very happy that this was the move I made.

There are many options for a pack 'n' play, of course. But I ended up getting one from Graco because the bassinet can be converted into a toddler bed in the (near) future. So we could actually use it until the wee one isn't so wee anymore.

The Graco pack 'n' play with the bassinet resting at play pen level. My son slept in the bassinet for four months, on top of the mattress pad that came with the bassinet. But he started to roll onto his side so now, the bassinet has been transformed into his play area in the living room and the play pen has been put in storage.

But there are caveats, as I am learning now. Once the baby starts rolling or he exceeds the bassinet's weight limit, he will need to move into the play pen for sleeping. At four months, he's spending more time rolling to his side in the bassinet, a precursor for real rolling for sure. Unfortunately, the play pen, which can easily be used as the sleeping surface once he outgrows the bassinet, is too deep for me to safely put him in there. We practised for two nights and I realised that if there's a zipper on one of the sides of this play pen, I won't have any problems.

And so I got convinced to consider buying a crib again. My first chance to try one out was with Gabriel's crib; perfect because its mattress is already set on its lowest level (for toddlers). I found that I couldn't even place my son on the mattress without dropping him (the crib has a high side rail; a major issue). I learned that there are low-profile cribs in the market albeit more expensive than the regular-height cribs. Doesn't matter, I thought, as long as I could use it, I'm willing to get it. 

I ended up purchasing the Babyletto Bixby convertible crib. It's a well-made metal crib (which makes it a turn off for teething when the wee one reaches that stage) with a wooden base. The side rails are high enough to prevent a sitting, standing, or rolling baby to escape from its confines but it is low enough for to safely place a fully asleep baby in. I paired this crib with the Newton breathable mattress because I want to make sure that my child will be able to breathe just in case he rolls onto his tummy and finds himself facedown. I know that he's going to complain loudly enough to wake me up of course. But still, a breathable mattress keeps my mind at ease.

The Babyletto Bixby, with a Newton breathable mattress, is now my son's sleep area. I'm keeping it bare for safety purposes. No bumpers, mesh liners, blankets, nor pillows.

I was dreading the possibility of my infant waking up at night because he's on unfamiliar territory ("namamahay" in Filipino). But he slept through the night (seven hours) on his first time in the crib! I'm hoping that he will consistently enjoy sleeping in this space because the crib also converts into a toddler bed (just like his bassinet).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

I went on a day trip to the City of Pines, which was around a 700-km drive from my house. I drove  going up there and then from the city to Victoria, Tarlac. After that, my dad took over the driving duties. It was day trip with Tita Ising and Tito Sibing with us. Anyway, this trip was my first time to go to Baguio City with me behind the wheel. As everyone who drives up knows, there are three main routes to Baguio from the lowlands: Kennon Road, which ascends from Rosario, La Union. It was out of my options because it's too dangerous to use that road in the rainy season. The second route is via Naguilian Road, which makes my trip a lot longer because the beginning of the ascent is in Bauang, La Union (further north). The last route, and the one I took, was the Marcos Highway, now known as the Aspiras-Palispis Highway. This 47-km road starts from Agoo, La Union and is touted as the safest route among the three.  As I drove up and then down (on the same day; we were in Bagu

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

The laboratory I work in has plenty of instruments that help us characterise and identify microorganisms causing diseases in patients. One of my current projects is to validate an instrument called "matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometer" (MALDI-TOF-MS) in identifying members of the Mycobacterium  species. Many of these organisms are opportunistic, meaning they only cause illnesses in people whose immune systems are not strong enough to fight infections. Mycobacterium leprae  is known for causing leprosy, but we cannot grow this bacterium in culture media, so we cannot isolate it. Mycobacterium tuberculosis  complex, on the other hand, is a group of several species of Mycobacterium  that causes tuberculosis. Tuberculosis is a disease that killed 1.6 million people in 2021 alone. It is a leading cause of death globally, second only to COVID-19 since the pandemic began. Identifying the Mycobacterium species that has infected a patient is

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses

On Dr Jose Rizal's birthday this year, I was back in historic Manila with Ate Bing, Ate Mary , and Manuel . But instead of visiting him, we opted to soak up on Philippine culture. Our first stop: the Cultural Center of the Philippines ' (CCP) Museo ng Kalinangang Pilipino .  Aside from the musical instruments, I noticed the dioramas about Filipino homes. Filipinos living by the sea (the 'sea gypsies', Sama Dilaut or Badjao ) have boathouses; those who live in the mountains, like the Bagobos , have developed interconnected houses in the trees; Filipinos who live along the path of the strongest typhoon winds, such as the Ivatans , have developed houses of thick limestone walls; and people who live in calmer conditions used bamboo and nipa to construct their houses, like the lowlanders and the Agtas . Sama Dilaut 'lepa' and houses on stilts (in the background) Ivatan limestone house nipa hut Ifugao 'fale' Maranao '