Skip to main content

Diet diversification, the 10-month old baby edition

Just a few short weeks after introducing my son to purees, I started upping his diet diversity by introducing more textures and flavours. In the traditional way of introducing solids to babies, this is Stage 3 food (which to me means table food, sans added salt and sugar). 

This is actually the stage I'm most concerned about because my child may start gagging anytime. His pediatrician assured me that I can start small; let my son eat morsels the size of peas and then gradually increase the size until we get to normal-sized pieces. The thing is, I'm not sure how big his portions should be, particularly since he's been chugging 32 oz of formula milk every day. This is where instinct came in: I decided that I'll let my son let me know if he's full or if he wants more. 

This is also the stage that I am most excited about because I can start using what I've learned in culinary school for one of my most important audiences. I still follow the recipe book, "Make-Ahead Baby Food Cookbook" for the dishes and suggestions of food pairings. However, I also started introducing dishes that are not in the book or are modifications of the recipes. 

I try to make sure that my son, for each meal, gets veggies, cereal, fruit, and meat. For instance:


This is a brunch of orzo, egg muffin with spinach and bell pepper, and beef stew with root veggies. I added blanched broccoli florets to the mix (of course, my son didn't finish everything in the bowl; I prepped in excess because I didn't know how much he'd like broccoli... this was the first time I offered it to him as whole vegetable pieces).

Since the orzo and egg muffin combo was a hit, I repeated it several times over the next few weeks. But instead of repeating this combo with beef stew, I sometimes paired it with baked apples and pears (flavoured with cinnamon and nutmeg). This fruit dish proved to be a hit with my son so I had made several versions of this already (as stage 1 and stage 2 food).



I also prepared roasted patties consisting of salmon, quinoa, carrots, and zucchini. It's a bit on the dry side so I typically paired it with moist dishes (e.g., creamed spinach and vegetable stew).



The pediatrician also encouraged me to allow my son to handle food with his hands. The salmon patties and the egg muffins came in handy for this. By picking up slices of food with his hands, he started developing his pincer grasp. It's not perfect yet but he certainly has less spilled food these days (I used to sweep a lot of food from under his high chair when we started).


Aside from Stage 3 food, I also started serving water in an open cup or in a straw cup. My son certainly has improved in drinking from the open cup (still makes spills though) and is becoming an expert straw cup drinker. 

I'm excited to see where this food adventure will bring my son. I do hope that if he becomes a picky eater, he'll continue eating high-quality food; I'm doing my best to give my son a well-rounded gastronomic experience by introducing him to children's version of adult healthy food; just like in the Parisian crèches immortalised by Pamela Druckerman in "Bringing Up Bèbè"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

I went on a day trip to the City of Pines, which was around a 700-km drive from my house. I drove  going up there and then from the city to Victoria, Tarlac. After that, my dad took over the driving duties. It was day trip with Tita Ising and Tito Sibing with us. Anyway, this trip was my first time to go to Baguio City with me behind the wheel. As everyone who drives up knows, there are three main routes to Baguio from the lowlands: Kennon Road, which ascends from Rosario, La Union. It was out of my options because it's too dangerous to use that road in the rainy season. The second route is via Naguilian Road, which makes my trip a lot longer because the beginning of the ascent is in Bauang, La Union (further north). The last route, and the one I took, was the Marcos Highway, now known as the Aspiras-Palispis Highway. This 47-km road starts from Agoo, La Union and is touted as the safest route among the three.  As I drove up and then down (on the same day; we were in Bagu

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

The laboratory I work in has plenty of instruments that help us characterise and identify microorganisms causing diseases in patients. One of my current projects is to validate an instrument called "matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometer" (MALDI-TOF-MS) in identifying members of the Mycobacterium  species. Many of these organisms are opportunistic, meaning they only cause illnesses in people whose immune systems are not strong enough to fight infections. Mycobacterium leprae  is known for causing leprosy, but we cannot grow this bacterium in culture media, so we cannot isolate it. Mycobacterium tuberculosis  complex, on the other hand, is a group of several species of Mycobacterium  that causes tuberculosis. Tuberculosis is a disease that killed 1.6 million people in 2021 alone. It is a leading cause of death globally, second only to COVID-19 since the pandemic began. Identifying the Mycobacterium species that has infected a patient is

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses

On Dr Jose Rizal's birthday this year, I was back in historic Manila with Ate Bing, Ate Mary , and Manuel . But instead of visiting him, we opted to soak up on Philippine culture. Our first stop: the Cultural Center of the Philippines ' (CCP) Museo ng Kalinangang Pilipino .  Aside from the musical instruments, I noticed the dioramas about Filipino homes. Filipinos living by the sea (the 'sea gypsies', Sama Dilaut or Badjao ) have boathouses; those who live in the mountains, like the Bagobos , have developed interconnected houses in the trees; Filipinos who live along the path of the strongest typhoon winds, such as the Ivatans , have developed houses of thick limestone walls; and people who live in calmer conditions used bamboo and nipa to construct their houses, like the lowlanders and the Agtas . Sama Dilaut 'lepa' and houses on stilts (in the background) Ivatan limestone house nipa hut Ifugao 'fale' Maranao '