Skip to main content

Tell Me the Odds: A 15-Page Introduction to Bayes Theorem

While studying data analytics at UC Berkeley Extension, I came across the Bayes Theorem but I didn't have the time to really appreciate it due to the fast pace set by the course curriculum. So now that I'm on "maternity leave", I continue learning by reading Tell Me the Odds by Scott Hartshorn (it's free on Kindle). This is officially my fourth book for the year (again, not counting the technical articles I've read prior to this book). I'd typically read through such a book quite rapidly; however, taking care of my son now takes a big chunk of my time. So I only read the book when I find five to ten minutes between feeds, diaper changes, burps, and bottle cleaning.

Tell Me The Odds: A 15 Page Introduction To Bayes Theorem by [Scott Hartshorn]

The author simplified the explanation of Bayes Theorem using, as an example, the probability of obtaining a die from a bag of dice based on the outcome of a roll. That sounded interesting because I typically encounter statistics problems in which I'm supposed to calculate the probability of a particular outcome (e.g., the probability of obtaining a head in a coin toss, which is one out of two; or the probability of obtaining a five after rolling a six-sided die, which is one out of six). I've never been asked to calculate the probability of getting a particular die based on the outcome of a roll. He used tables and figures as visualisation aids that help me understand the concept. 

Such an explanation is highly appreciated because the equation of Bayes Theorem is intimidating for non-Math or Stats majors (like me), and is something I learn because I see potential applications of it in my work.

P(A|B) = [P(A) * P(B|A)]/P(B)

where: 
P(A|B) is the probability of the outcome (e.g., rolling a five from a die picked from a bag of dice)
P(A) is the initial probability (e.g., getting a five-sided die in a bag of dice)
P(B|A) is the likelihood of the result obtained (e.g., rolling a five from any die)
P(B) is the normalising constant (i.e., the sum of the probabilities of all dice that can roll a five)

This example, the dice in the bag, does not explain the book cover though. So I proceeded to read the second application: being an astronaut about to navigate through an asteroid field. A robot assistant has declared the odds of successfully navigating through the asteroid field (this is the P(A)) but it does not know other factors that can change the astronaut's probability of success (like the astronaut's skill level and experience, where the astronaut will begin the journey, etc); this is where the likelihood and the normalisation constant come in. Obviously, this is a more complex example because it keeps adding new factors into the story, leading to more calculations of probabilities and likelihoods.

After my first read of the book, I still don't have a good handle of the theorem and will continue to review the text just to understand it better. It's a good thing that the book is on Kindle (for free!) and I can reread the book as many times as I want.

I wonder how I can apply Bayes Theorem in the work that I'm doing...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

I went on a day trip to the City of Pines, which was around a 700-km drive from my house. I drove  going up there and then from the city to Victoria, Tarlac. After that, my dad took over the driving duties. It was day trip with Tita Ising and Tito Sibing with us. Anyway, this trip was my first time to go to Baguio City with me behind the wheel. As everyone who drives up knows, there are three main routes to Baguio from the lowlands: Kennon Road, which ascends from Rosario, La Union. It was out of my options because it's too dangerous to use that road in the rainy season. The second route is via Naguilian Road, which makes my trip a lot longer because the beginning of the ascent is in Bauang, La Union (further north). The last route, and the one I took, was the Marcos Highway, now known as the Aspiras-Palispis Highway. This 47-km road starts from Agoo, La Union and is touted as the safest route among the three.  As I drove up and then down (on the same day; we were in Bagu

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

The laboratory I work in has plenty of instruments that help us characterise and identify microorganisms causing diseases in patients. One of my current projects is to validate an instrument called "matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometer" (MALDI-TOF-MS) in identifying members of the Mycobacterium  species. Many of these organisms are opportunistic, meaning they only cause illnesses in people whose immune systems are not strong enough to fight infections. Mycobacterium leprae  is known for causing leprosy, but we cannot grow this bacterium in culture media, so we cannot isolate it. Mycobacterium tuberculosis  complex, on the other hand, is a group of several species of Mycobacterium  that causes tuberculosis. Tuberculosis is a disease that killed 1.6 million people in 2021 alone. It is a leading cause of death globally, second only to COVID-19 since the pandemic began. Identifying the Mycobacterium species that has infected a patient is

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses

On Dr Jose Rizal's birthday this year, I was back in historic Manila with Ate Bing, Ate Mary , and Manuel . But instead of visiting him, we opted to soak up on Philippine culture. Our first stop: the Cultural Center of the Philippines ' (CCP) Museo ng Kalinangang Pilipino .  Aside from the musical instruments, I noticed the dioramas about Filipino homes. Filipinos living by the sea (the 'sea gypsies', Sama Dilaut or Badjao ) have boathouses; those who live in the mountains, like the Bagobos , have developed interconnected houses in the trees; Filipinos who live along the path of the strongest typhoon winds, such as the Ivatans , have developed houses of thick limestone walls; and people who live in calmer conditions used bamboo and nipa to construct their houses, like the lowlanders and the Agtas . Sama Dilaut 'lepa' and houses on stilts (in the background) Ivatan limestone house nipa hut Ifugao 'fale' Maranao '