What is the difference between immigrate and emigrate?

There'll be a few life changes coming my way as the year ends and to prepare for that, I went to a seminar in Manila. I doubt that I would grasp everything in one sitting but at least I'd have a running start. I wasn't alone. Many of the people I was sitting with were seasoned travellers and appeared to be well-educated. 

Although the seminar content was important, I was drawn more to the speaker because he was such an engaging fellow... and I could review his lecture using a book he distributed afterwards.

What I noted in that seminar is the speaker's enthusiasm, as if he were drawing energy from his audience. He was literally like a bouncing ball on stage. He was entertaining even. And while he did have slides, he has mastered the content that he didn't need to glance at them except to point out important details. His personality did not intimidate despite his pedagogical tone; hence, the audience enthusiastically asked questions. He was honest when he didn't know how to respond to questions and elicited responses from other audience members who had ideas and relevant knowledge. His humour did not come off as brash or sarcastic although he was brandishing the typical intellectual humour of Filipinos... perhaps, it helped that his audience were on the same page. 

At some point, he threw the ball at us, asking the questions instead of answering them. He asked what I perceived to be a basic social studies question: "What is the difference between immigrate and emigrate?" I thought that this question is a no-brainer because I've learned the difference in grade school. But, as always, assumptions made an ass of me; the responses from the audience made it clear that the distinction wasn't as crystal to them as it was to me (and a few others who supplied the write answer).

As the seminar reached its end, our speaker reminded us that his office could be reached anytime via social media if we think of questions after we've gone back home. That's very kind of him; he appeared to be really committed to providing support. Thank you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses