Harmattan haze

I have only encountered a dust haze once before, in South Korea, because I don't think that it reaches far into archipelagic Southeast Asia. So when I arrived in West Africa, I found the ambiance quite different... ethereal, almost. I could even point my camera directly into the sun to take a photo!


This haze, called Harmattan haze, is actually caused by dust swept up from the Sahara and blown over West Africa. It blankets cars with reddish brown dust and keeps the sky grey. The lake and the sea looked like there's a storm coming... or at least that's what I'd associate grey skies with. But the weather was hot and dry, so I knew that it wouldn't be raining any time within the day. 



The gloomy early hours were always replaced by glorious golden hours, thanks to the particulates that scatter light in the sky. I found the sunsets very pretty... remembering the glorious Manila Bay sunsets that always stop me in my tracks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses