Wasabi by Chef Morimoto

If I kept eating the way I've been eating all that yummy food in India, I'd be fat by now. Note: I am gaining weight!

Indian cuisine proves to be a very interesting and delicious study for me and my teammates in the Drivers of Food Choice project. But at some point during our expert elicitation workshops trip, we had our fill of flavourful and complex Indian food and wanted to calm our palates with food that shocked and awed with the seeming simplicity of its flavours and textures. 

With that thought in mind, I discovered that Chef Morimoto, who I know from all the nights I've been watching Iron Chef, has a restaurant called Wasabi in the hotel we were bunked in in New Delhi! 

Subtlety via Japanese food: check! 
Quality indicator via the chef's name: check!!

It didn't take me a long time to convince Matty and Jhoanne that we should try Wasabi because they were also feeling the effects of eating exclusively Indian food on them.


The two thought of eating light and ended up ordering ramen. But I went for the clincher; after all, this is the No. 44 restaurant in Asia's 50 best restaurants in 2017. So I ordered a maki containing wood-smoked salmon. While they weren't satisfied with their ramen, I was totally enjoying my food... I had to share mine with them. They liked my maki so much that we ordered more.


After 10 days in India, tasting Japanese food made me feel like I were back home...  or in Tokyo because I am more familiar and have more fond memories about Japanese food than about Indian food. I never realised how East Asian cuisine has become comfort food for me until this point!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses